visibility" of class object in favour of a global context

Joel Shellman joel at ikestrel.com
Wed May 28 04:04:22 UTC 2003

> You might want to check out the threads:
>
> 'visibility" of class object in favour of a global context'
> and
> 'the monopoly of classes'
>
> before jumping into the fray :)
>
> Julian

Okay, here I jump into the fray :) Forgive my newness to smalltalk but I
hope my experience in software development qualify me to receive your
criticism from your special experience in this domain.

Just read this line:
"Are you sure this can't just be solved by improving the tools?
If the Browser showed Object>>isFoo to be in the same category as Foo and
Bar, would it bother people as much that it was on Object?

Again, this doesn't make sense to me. I assume isFoo here is referring to
"is this Object an instance of the Foo class". But that's absurd to put that
sort of method on Object, isn't it? Ie. in Java (yes, that's where I'm
coming from) you would use instanceof, which should be easy in Smalltalk:

(myObject class) == (Foo class)

I couldn't find quickly something that supports sub/super classes, but I
imagine there is one. If not, would be trivial to write and I imagine would
look something like:

myObject class isSuper/isCoercible/isSubClass/etc.: Foo

That's a specific case, I'm going to write up a more general post about my
perception of Object interface bloatation (which seems one symptom of
something I need to learn the name of).

-joel shellman