Image is displayed on startup

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed May 28 05:07:44 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 08:36  PM, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> 	which version of os-9
>
> Dunno; the technicians have the machine again.

Well we will need to know this.

> 	and what are the memory settings of the squeak VM?.
>
> Absolutely unmodified from the distribution.

How big is your image? you may need to adjust the memory partition. See
my question below.

> 	Anyway to determine which Squeak VM it thought it
> 	launched based on the image?
>
> The machine has 2.7 and 2.8; 3.5 was installed today.
> However, my experience under MacOS 8.6 has been that whenever
> I install a new version of Squeak, old images start running
> with the new VM (not the other way around).  Why would 9.x be
> different?

Yes, it should run 3.5, just checking to see what else is on there.
This is based on the version number meta data,
found in the resource fork. The finder should launch the VM with the
highest version number or  the most recent creation date when version
numbers are the same. {OS-X has different rules since hfs meta data is
not considered}

{3.5.0b4 is the current version}

> 	Maybe your image memory requirements are too large as compared
> 	to what the squeak vm is set to?
>
> (a) Then why doesn't it say so?
> (b) It runs fine when I start the VM instead of the image.

In low memory stressed situations the image is poor at popping up a
dialog telling you there is a problem.
In fact it is usually grinding through full GC calls attempting to find
enough memory to tell you there is no memory.

If you do help->vm statistics from the world menu what does it give you?

===