FFI & Interrupted System Calls...

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed May 28 05:51:26 UTC 2003

Try starting squeak using -notimer

that turns off the SIGALARM code.

The macintosh osx carbon vm uses os8/9 timer events which really
resolve I think into
pthread_cond_timedwait logic.

Perhaps we could look again at using pthread support and
pthread_cond_timedwait logic versus
ensuring everyone understands the implication of EINTR and in your case
because of what you are doing
it I guess won't complete.

with -notimer expect the CPU load to go up!

On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 10:29  PM, Ivo Rössling wrote:

> As I figured out by examining the Unix platform code, Squeak uses a
> SIGALARM signal to
> increase an internal low resolution millisecond clock.
> Obviously the system calls named above get interrupted by exactly this
> signal and abort.

===