Another object view - (was RE: copy yourself ?)

jan ziak ziakjan at host.sk
Wed May 28 17:30:29 UTC 2003

On Wed, 28 May 2003 00:05:48 -0400, Adrian Sampaleanu wrote

> --- cut ---
>
> There are relatively few "object" properties in the physical world.
> - mass/energy, density, refractive index, reflectivity, hardness,
> chemical reactivity, electrical conductivity, magnetic properties,
> position relative to some point of reference

my opinion is this: the amount of information in the universe is constant, it
is incompressible, inextractable, it just transforms from one form to another.

im your model, there are relatively few object properties in the physical
world. i think that their number is tremendous, but we have chosen to ignore
them and to deal with "some of them" only.

> The universe could be looked at as providing the environment of
> interaction and determines how the properties of one "object" can affect
> other objects' properties and defines the reference system in both space
> and time. Pretty simplistic, I know, but it might be good enough to look
> at it this way...

hmm...why do you think there exists time (if you are speaking about the
linear time (e.g. that one with axis which spans from past into the
future)) ?

> The rate of change (and the rate of change of the rates of change) of
> these properties with respect to time might be viewed as additional
> properties or not - not sure how to look at these for the point I'm
> trying to make here, but in any case, the total number is still very
> modest.

the problem of endless repetition (rate of change -> rate of change of rate
of change -> rate of change of rate of change -> ...) is minimized when you
think like this:
1. you have memory
2. the memory is used by your mind
3. a) let's say, the first idea that emerges in your mind is that there is
      "rate of change"
   b) as second, your memory remembers that first idea
   c) you use the remembered idea and prepend the "rate of change" to it, so
      you get "rate of change of rate of change"
   d) the point is that now you are in merely the same situation as
      you were in a). you can again recognize that you have something
      in memory, and image that that can change also. so you will have
      3x"rate of change"
   e) ...
4. you cannot perform step 3 endlessly, because your memory is limited

it is like walking which results in no movement (the famous red queen
effect). you think that you are doing something, that you are thinking,
thinking very very hard - but you always found yourself at the same place (at
the start).

i do not know whether it helped you, it just poped in my mind when i was
reading your message.