image is displayed on startup

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu May 29 03:09:00 UTC 2003

	> That's the .1.image.  But note that clicking on this image WORKS
	> on the machine running MacOS 8.6.  Clicking on the same image on
	> the machine running MacOS 9.0 gives me a white window where I cannot
	> ask for vm statistics.  Since Squeak gets the same amount of memory
	> on both machines, I'd expect the vm statistics to be the same on
	> both machines.

	Well let me ask, are you using DragThing 2.9 to do this, by
	setting up your image file in the documents dock then setting
	the Dock option to 'use single-click to open items' Thus
	clicking once on the squeak image document in the documents tab
	which launches squeak?

On the MacOS 8.6 machine, it doesn't matter whether I use DragThing 2.0
or whether I double click on the image.  Works every time either way.

	Versus double clicking on the image file in the finder? (does that
	work?)

On the MacOS 9.0 machine, DragThing isn't installed.  When I talked about
clicking on the image not working, I meant clicking on the image
*in the finder*.  There isn't any dock.

	This all works fine on my test machine with os 9.1. I'll need to
	install os 9.0 on another drive to see
	  if this is an OS issue, that will take a day or so.

I'd be very sorry to take a day of anyone's time on this;
there _is_ a workaround (starting the VM) so it's not a showstopper.
It's a bit awkward, because the machine I had trouble on is being
used fairly heavily this week (schools visits; one of our younger staff
showing them all about Lego and other robots).

Heck, it could even be SPSS; there's an SPSS extension in there...