Object: Identity vs. Environment

sourcery squeak-dev.sourcery at forum-mail.net
Thu May 29 03:32:44 UTC 2003

On Wed, 28 May 2003 07:26:46 -0700, John W.Sarkela <sarkela at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> Since the space that is being cleaved by the distinction #isFoo is the
> space of Objects, it is mathematically most correct to define isFoo in
> Object to return <false> and override that definition to return <true>
> for all classes whose instances belong to the distinction Foo.

Correct.  And the terminology you used immediately brought to mind a
certain
book I had read over twenty years ago...

> I strongly urge everyone on the list to read "The Laws of Form" by G.
> Spencer Brown. It is a deeply profound little book. It is also the only
> math book I am aware of that dares to talk about the meaning and intent
> of its basic terms.

...and that's the book!  Highly recommended.  It's one of the few books on
the list of books I've read that have profoundly influenced my
understanding
of the world.

--Alan

--
The Stupid Party thinks everyone else is evil.  The Evil Party thinks
everyone else is stupid.