fonts and unicode, CampSmalltalk6

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Thu May 29 14:46:41 UTC 2003

Greg Hamilton <gregh at object-craft.com.au> wrote:

> I've been tinkering with Squeak in my spare time and having a whale of
> a time learning Smalltalk and watching the little mouse and such.
> I guess I'm probably not the first person to say that the default fonts
> are horrible.
Not so horrible in my opinion, unhinted TTF at small sizes looks worse.
I agree however that the default fonts are not suitable for
high-resolution screens.
> Is it possible to add new, scalable fonts ? Has anybody done any work
> on antialised fonts ?
Stephane gave you the right hint. Note that there are two different
packages:
 * One (Squeak multilingualization, written by Yoshiki Ohshima)
    that reads a TTF file and creates antialiased glyphs.
    This is 100 % Squeak and works on all platforms.
 * One (Win32NativeFonts, written by Andreas Raab) that uses
    a plugin and the font machinery of Windows. The glyph creation
    is left to Windows, and Windows gives you hinted glyphs.
    This is a very nice idea but it is restricted to Windows.

At May, 2nd, Arjen van Elteren <a.vanelteren at chello.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some time ago I wrote a plugin to talk to the freetype 2 library. I've
>> been playing with it on and off (I like to have nice fonts in
>> squeak but I don't like most font issues like advance etc.). As
>> Bitstream has published the Vera font family I decided to clean up
>> and publish my effort, it's available at
>> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3192. The package comes with prebuild
>> library's for linux (3.4-devel1 and 3.5-devel1 both work on my system)
>> and one ttf font for testing.
>>
>> High-lights;
>> * Anti-aliasing
>> * Low mem usages (font is stored in 8 bit form not 32 bit)
>> * Works with colors (like red on blue etc).
>>
>> Low-lights;
>> * No bold or italics support
>> * No real knowledge of font-familys
>> * Not Unicode
>>

>> Arjen van Elteren
I did not try that, but it is perhaps a thing that Linux users
should look at.

> And what's the state of unicode support in Squeak. I think everything
> I've looked at so far is stored in ASCII.
Not strictly ASCII - it's MacIntosh Roman.
Unicode will come - no question about that. I think that in two years
from now we will have it. Yoshiki Ohshima has published his
ideas and an alfa version of his work. I have experimented with a
different approach to implement Unicode support, but it is still
unpublished. From June 22th to June 28th I will participate in
CampSmalltalk 6 (http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk/CS6)
(in Gronau, Germany). This would be a wonderful occasion
to discuss Unicode support and font issues in detail. Is there
any interest in such a project? (you know, work at CampSmalltalk
is organized in projects.) We can still set up a project like
"fonts and Unicode" I would be delighted to participate in such
a project. Who else?

Greetings,
Boris