is squeak really object oriented ?

John W. Sarkela sarkela at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 29 18:52:55 UTC 2003

Actually the upward downward Lowenheim-Skolem-Tarski theorem proves
that any theory (the real numbers) that has a model of any infinite
cardinality, has models of all infinite cardinality. In this case, it
implies that if the reals can be satisfied with an uncountable model,
then a countable model of the reals exists.

At this point you may say, "But John, how can a theory with an
uncountable number of elements have a model of countable cardinality?
Didn't Herr Cantor demonstrate beyond a shadow of a doubt that a
countable set may not be put into 1:1 correspondence with an
uncountable set?"

The answer in this case is that the real numbers in a countable model
are represented not as atomic elements of the model, but rather as an
iterated process expressed in terms of a countable set of atomic
elements. In fact, the MathMorphs implementation of algebraic numbers
work in this way. Given sufficient time, a given representation of an
algebraic number may present a standard base 10 representation of
arbitrary precision. But note well, that the expectation of being able
to produce an exact representation in base 10 of a randomly chosen real
number is zero. So in this sense, Andres is right, almost every real
number cannot be represented in base 10 (or any other integral base
such as 2) in a finite amount of time.
(A consequence of the fact that the measure of the rational numbers on
any compact interval of the real line is zero.)

Mathematically yours,
:-}> John Sarkela