Another object view - (was RE: copy yourself ?)

John W. Sarkela sarkela at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 29 19:12:07 UTC 2003

A solipsist may insist that there is indeed nothing beyond the
distinction of self. I tend to a more ontological point of view. I
believe that there is a "rex extensa" beyond the boundary of my self.
(I am, therefore I think so.)

My objective perception of reality, the rex extensa, is indeed a
simulation of that external reality. The very easily demonstrated fact
that I am not omniscient leads to the conclusion that my experience of
reality is at best a simulation of the whole she-bang. In fact, my
sensation of reality has such limited resolution that I usually think
and act as if cups and saucers are solid objects instead of mostly
empty space in which an extraordinary number of Schroedinger wave like
vibrations are superposing.

An incomplete model, but very potent when used to calculate the effects
that may be consequences of my actions. The only basis for these
beliefs is that there is such a striking correlation between my
expected consequences of actions and the subsequent perception of
change in the world.

So I would suppose that you may categorize me as a phenomenologist, in
that I can't prove that you are any more real than I am, but it
certainly suits my purposes to behave as if that were so.

:-}> John Sarkela