Exporting a Squeak Animation

David Faught dave_faught at yahoo.com
Fri May 30 13:51:18 UTC 2003

Thanks again for your quick fix, Bert.  It worked great!

I like the idea of using Squeak to replace Powerpoint, unfortunately I
need to put this stuff in Powerpoint to be able to share it with my
Squeak-challenged co-workers.

I uploaded one of the animations that I made using Bert's changes to:

     http://home.wi.rr.com/thefaughts/utilAnim.gif

It is a plot of utilization on the Y axis by hour of the week on
the X axis.  There are 7 vertical grid areas that divide the days of
the week.  The animation cycles through 86 weeks of data with the most
recent week, noted at the bottom, being the strongest color and the
previous weeks gradually fading to the background.

I'm only going to leave this file on the web site for a few days
because it takes up a bunch of my space quota.  The file is just under
1 MB.  This particular animation is about 50% of the linear dimensions
of the original to reduce its file size.

This and the other animations were created using a kind of "visual data
analysis workbench" written in Squeak.  It was built specifically for
this project, but it wouldn't take a lot of work to generalize it a bit
to work with other data.  I'm still debating about releasing it to the
world, as it might fall in the category of competetive advantage for my
employer.