ST-80 Version 2 is 20 years old tomorrow

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Fri May 30 18:01:28 UTC 2003

Vassili Bykov <vassili at parcplace.com>  wrote...

>As you can see in the screenshot at
>
>http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/VisualWorks/Smalltalk-80+in+a+box
>
>the image that world came to know as the Smalltalk-80 (a.k.a. Smalltalk-
>80 Version 2), was saved on May 31, 1083 at 10:37:52 am Pacific Time.
>
>Does anyone remember who saved it? :)

Well, a bunch of us had our hands on it in the last few days, and there were a number of passes at the final one.  Dave Robson was just finishing up the ST interpreter for the book and making sure it would run the image, so he had a number of last-minute changes.  Oops --  I'm thinking of Version 1, the true ancestor of Squeak.  I think it was Glenn Krasner who did the final wrap-up for the Version 2 release that you have here (and probably V1 as well -- he always got things right).

 I think of Version 1 as being "The Release" because it put ST-80 out in the world, legally.  However I can't lay my hands on a copy so I'm not sure of that date.

...and I love your emulation of the original ST-80 (complete with file system!).

	- Dan