[Q]Locking Squeak down for shipping an end-user application

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat May 31 00:18:41 UTC 2003

Darius wrote:
> If an end-user has both a fully functional instalation of Squeak and also a
> Locked Down application image from me, can they use the fully programable
> Squeak to read objects out of my Locked Down image?

The lockdown package just makes the image hard to get into.

However, it is possible to use the InterpreterSimulator to run another
image from within a Squeak image (though it may have some problems with
a big image and will be really slow). So the answer would be that if
your end-user is a *very* knowledgeable Squeaker they could probably do
it. So it depends on how valuable your objects are.

Are you more concerned with your objects or with your code? It's
probably also not too hard to analyze the image from some other program...

> Would Image Segments allow them to read the Locked Down image?

If you stored anything externally in ImageSegments, they would be
readable. Though you could certainly change the serialization to add
encryption.