[BUG][FIX] DeclarativePools

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sat May 31 19:49:35 UTC 2003

Whilst I understand the urge to tidy up some of the filing out system,
the bit that I consider reasonably urgent is deciding what to do about
the filing out of pools; it needs to be resolved soon to make the new
declarative pools code ready to issue.

The current scheme files out a simple declaration of the dictionary at
the front of the fileout. This provides some hope of the filein working
if the image doesn't already have the pool, though it does lead to the
potential problem of 'corrupting' a newer pool definition. If we move to
SharedPool classes then we need to at least change what gets filed out
and probably reconsider if the pool should actually be included with the
fileout. I _think_ I prefer the idea of using SM1.1 to handle the
dependency issue where there are pools shared across packages (for
example balloon3d needs B3DEngineConstants and so does b3dplugins)
rather than including the class in both packages. For now, as a temporay
palliative, I strongly suggest we just include all the pools classes in
the image at the cost of a few bytes.

So, my proposal:-
drop the pool filing out code in all the assorted fileout methods.
track down all shared pools and convert them to subclasses of SharedPool
(TextConstants and WonderlandConstats are two I've spotted) and just put
them in the image.
update packages involving pools to reflect the new format by checking
the latest update number and not using any declaration of pool
dictionaries if appropriate.

tim
World Ends at Ten - Pictures at 11 on Fox News!