duplicateControlAndAltKeys not working on WinXP

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Nov 1 06:48:55 UTC 2003

> It is impossible, short of changing the VM, to have Ctrl-End
> and Ctrl-D do different things.

That, of course, is wrong. The reason why these are processed in the same
way is that all current clients use *character* events (which implies an
ascii representation) instead of *key* events (which implies a key pressed
on a particular keyboard). And since the ascii range is filled with lots and
lots of useful ascii characters there is simply not enough room to fit all
of the different key events in there. Try checking the key-down events
instead - I'm pretty sure those will be different.

> Clearly this can cause trouble, but it requires VM tweaking to
> do any better.

Nope. All it requires is to use untranslated keyDown events instead of
(translated) characters ;-)

Cheers,
  - Andreas