Squeak PDA hardware: getting better and better!

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Sat Nov 1 07:20:54 UTC 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>   Zaurus SL-C700 has 100MHz bus, but the later versions, C750 and C760
> have 200MHz bus.  IIRC, the 36xx series have 103MHz bus.  (Yes, I
> remember that memory bus for PXA 250's are slower than StrongArm's.)

Ah, OK.  Good to know.  My information certainly wasn't the most concrete
with the older bus numbers, thanks for setting me straight. :)

If the 36xx have a bus speed of 103 MHz, I wonder again why there was such
a huge leap in performance between a WinCE-based iPAQ 3650 and a Linux
Zaurus SL-5500.  From other information (e.g. Linux on the same iPAQ) it
isn't because Linux is any more efficient. I'd chalked it up to bus speed.

Sure enough, the iPAQ 36xx do have a 103 MHz bus.  Oh well, destined to be
a mystery for the ages I suppose.

>   Yup.  This looks interesting, indeed.  I don't know any other models
> that uses PXA 263...

There are a couple others, including the new Dell Axim X3.   Performance
should be pretty comparable to the PXA 255, but with certain perephrials
like flash on the chip itself.

info:
http://www.intel.com/design/pca/3pda.htm

>   Good.  Would you mind to include the screen update benchmark?

Not a problem.  I will make available my much more comprehensive benching
image.  This bench.zip I whipped up quicky for one certain application and
user- a fellow I know has a Sig3 and I can't wait to srr what kind of
numbers it spits out.

Regards,
Aaron

--
  "civilization is a limitless multiplication of
                unnecessary necessities."                :: mark twain