Newbie investigating refactoring browser / conceptual typingquestion.

G.J.Murphy G.J.Murphy at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 1 17:00:47 UTC 2003

Ned,

> I think that had you installed the SqueakMap 1.09 package things probably
> would have worked better, since it would have loaded Monticello, which has
> (broken) version of this method. This would have also upgraded your
> Package
> Loader as a side effect.

Aha! OK, done it and thanks.

> > FYI, I ran the system SUnit tests before and after the fix:-
> >
> > BEFORE:
> >
> > 351 run, 230 passed, 4 failed, 117 errors.
> >
> > AFTER:
> >
> > 351 run, 278 passed, 5 failed, 68 errors.
>
> That's interesting. I find it surprising that any of those were even
> testing
> Text>>withSqueakLineEndings.
>
> Were these the RefactoringBrowser tests that you refer to?

They're the ones that I get from the base 3.6 image plus the two installed
packages. I ran all the unit tests that were available, which included
various tests from the Monticello and the Refactoring Browser packages as
far as I could see. Remember, you're dealing with a novice here!

The original problem was manifest in RBParser>>parseMethod, invoked from
RefactoringBrowser>>parseNode, which I presume is invoked indirectly from
umpteen higher-level unit tests. My understanding was that a parse tree was
being built from the complete method text in the lower pane - this was going
to be searched through to find the node covering as much of the selection
interval as possible to extract a relevant expression.

Regards,

Gerard