duplicateControlAndAltKeys not working on WinXP

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun Nov 2 01:29:51 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> > It would be lovely if it could be true but different OSs have
> > different approaches and it can be very difficult bordering on
> > impossible to get everything the same. For example, RISC OS simply
> > doesn't give you key up and downs in the GUI interface.
>
> I find this hard to believe. All modern GUIs recognize the difference
> between a character (which may even result from a series of key strokes such
> as for accented characters) and the actual keys pressed.
Oh, believe me, I've tried. RISC OS can do the very low-level and the
very high (ie your button id#54 got a double-click) but anything in
between isn't there. I do have someone inside the OS team that claims
they are working on it for me.... Real Soon Now.

> > It _will_
> > provide ultra-low level events for that sort of thing but you have no
> > idea if the event really applies to your particular
> > application. _Very_ annoying.
>
> Well, you could keep track of whether your application is the "active" app
> (depending on the means of your OS) and report these ultra-low level events
> only if the app is active. This will probably do the trick.
I thought so once upon a time. Tried it a dozen ways to hell and it
simply didn't work. Hope fully the above mentioned insider can solve my
problem.

tim
Memory dump:  Amnesia...