Harvesting Process is not working

Adam Spitz adspitz at yahoo.ca
Sun Nov 2 22:08:28 UTC 2003

There's probably a lesson to be learned here from the Extreme
Programming guys, about aligning authority and responsibility.

It's frustrating for me to feel like I have the responsibility to
review a changeset when I don't have the authority to put that
changeset into the image myself.

And I *do* feel like I have that responsibility, because I felt
guilty just now when Marcus asked us how we can possibly expect the
harvesting process to work if we submit changesets but don't help
with the reviewing.

I think that the answer to his question, though, is that the way it
*should* work is that when someone submits a changeset affecting
the Wobulator package, the owners (stewards?) of the Wobulator
package should be the ones responsible for reviewing it - because
those are the people who have the authority to get it into the
official Wobulator distribution. I haven't reviewed any
non-Celeste-related changesets in a long time, but I try to catch
all the Celeste-related ones.

This is why I've been doing the package-removal work, but there's
no reason why we can't do this for code that's still in the image
(as long as the guides/harvesters/whoever are willing to let a
package's steward mark changesets related to that package as
[APPROVED]). Isn't that why we were looking for stewards?

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3088

Adam