Harvesting Process is not working

Peter van Rooijen squeak at vanrooijen.com
Mon Nov 3 10:14:38 UTC 2003

From: "Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus" <schwa at cc.gatech.edu>
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:52:49AM +0100, Peter van Rooijen wrote:
> > From: "Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus" <schwa at cc.gatech.edu>

Nobody
> > told
> > >
> > > Check out the "Harvesting Process" page on the swiki:
> > > http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3152
> >
> > Which exact part of that are you referring to? I don't see where it says
"if
> > you want to help get rid of the backlog of pending fixes, click here".
>
> Um, pretty much the whole thing; it describes how the whole process
> works.

Thanks Joshua. I had read pretty much the whole thing. From that I had
received a basic, but clear, understanding of how the harvesting process
goes, and what the lifecycle of a submission is. I had not found a clear
link to where you say you're ready to help. Still haven't seen it.

> You'd probably want to jump in at number 2) by providing
> feedback to help the harvesters decide whether to accept the change.

Why at number 2)? Everyone can comment to this list already, it doesn't mean
anything gets done with the comment. I don't want to just add traffic to
this list. I've seen how that goes.

I want to help in a much more targeted way. I want to shorten the list of
pending fixes. I want to review a fix and respond with observations that can
directly improve the "product".

> If you wish to become a harvester instead of just reviewing changesets,
> http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/squeakfoundation/45
> (linked off the previous URL I sent) says to "post a message to the
> SqF mailing list" to convey your willingness to help out.

Okay, I googled for sqf "mailing list" and the fifth link "Potential
Foundation Projects" leads to a page with a link "Foundation Mailing List",
and after browsing the archives from there, it appears that this list
"squeakfoundation at lists.squeakfoundation.org" is the list referred to as
"the SqF mailing list".

I just subscribed.

> If this wasn't clear from the page, perhaps we can tweak the wording;
> we don't want to discourage potential volunteers.  Was there something
> unclear to you about the "Harvesting Process" page?

Yes. Like I said, it doesn't make it clear where someone who is ready to
help should go. Perhaps it seems quite clear from the point of view from
someone who already knows.

In any case, with your help I have found the next steps, and let's see how
this evolves.

Cheers,

Peter