Harvesting Process is not working

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Mon Nov 3 11:36:36 UTC 2003

"Provoost, P (Paul)" <P.Provoost at rf.rabobank.nl> wrote:
> Marcus Denker wrote:
> > Actually, I think we are in just this state allready for more than
> > 2 years.  Have you ever tried to explain somebody what's new in 3.6?
> > There is *nothing*. There was nothing new in 3.5. And not much in 3.4,
> > either. Squeak is dead.
>
> Does this imply that it is not wise for a smalltalk newcomer to invest in Squeak as a programming environment? It is the only really free and open smalltalk around. Of course ST/X is free and fairly open source, but for instance the sources of the compiler are not available.
>
> It would be a pity if Squeak would perish into obliviance ...

No, I definitely would not read it like that. And I think Marcus was
mostly trying to make a point.

We all know there wasn't anything new in 3.5 (we did that release much
as an exercise), and 3.4 was a way to back out of 3.3-Modules - so it
was no big surprise it came out a bit smallish.

3.6 on the other hand IMHO had quite a few bits in it. I wrote about
this a bit just after the release. And since SM is around a lot of the
exciting stuff isn't going into the image - BECAUSE IT DOESN'T NEED TO.
If we look at the abundance of cool stuff on SM I would say that Squeak
is VERY far from dead. It is IMHO more alive than EVER.

Most of us have been Squeakers a long time, and I for one am definitely
NOT abandoning Squeak.

Sidenote: In fact, I think it is a bit annoying when people "threaten"
to abandon Squeak for this and that reason - I find it childish and
incredibly counter productive. Marcus isn't doing that - but he comes
pretty close. Other members have been playing that game earlier though.

And the effect is exactly this - newbies get scared off. That is NOT
good people!

Let us instead take charge of the problems and move forward. We are
doing progress, SM and BFAV have improved life but we all agree that SM2
and other mechanisms AND changes in how we work are needed.

Let us focus on that instead.

regards, Göran

PS. Posting more on the subject later today, need to collect some
thoughts first.