[UPDATES] 25 for Squeak3.7alpha

dway at riskmetrics.com dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Nov 4 05:16:27 UTC 2003

The last week's batch of approved items, including 9 KCP changesets.
(There were two KCP changesets named KCP103 for some reason... I renamed
one to KCP102-5 (102.5).)

- Doug

------------------------------

5502KCP102vmFromSystDict -- stephane ducasse -- 27 June 2003
Define a new class SmalltalkImage that represents all the
SystemDictionary behavior related to SmalltalkImage management.
Following Tim suggestion this class will merge all the aspects of
VM+Image management.
This is the first changeset of a long series.
v3: SmalltalkImage current
v4: edited for current image (2 conflict) -- md
v5: fixed errorReportOn.

5503KCP102-5newInitPattern -- Noury Bouraqadi -- 16 September 2003
MD: This changeset was generated by filing in Noury's original into the
latest 3.7 plus the KCPs (83, 102, 104-107). The postscript was removed.

original comment:
Partially replaces KCP-102 since it introduces the pattern
new-initialize and does not alter variable objects creation (i.e.
definition of #new: remains unchanged). Also, delete all obsolete
definitions of new and initialize.
This latter task is performed using classes provided by classes of the
ObsoleteMethodTest hierarchy, that are removed afterwards (see the
postscript)."

5504KCP103vmProfiling -- stephane ducasse -- 24 September 2003
This changeset moves VM profiling primitives from SystemDictionary to
SmalltalkImage. Simple.
v3: SmalltalkImage current"

5505KCP104vmStatistic -- stephane ducasse -- 24 September 2003
This changeset move some VM report utilities from systemDictionary to
SmalltalkImage.
v3 SmalltalkImage current"

5506KCP105systemAttributes -- stephane ducasse -- 22 October 2003
Extract from SystemDictionary the fonctionality to get the parameters
passed on the command line and related.
v3: SmalltalkImage current
v4: fixed some conflicts and comments -- md"

5507KCP106moveModuleToStIm -- stephane ducasse -- 24 September 2003
Extract form SystemDictionary all the primitives working on the modules
and define them on the class SmalltalkImage.
v3: SmalltalkImage current"

5508KCP107imageNameToStImage -- stephane ducasse -- 24 September 2003
Extracted image path and name to move that in SmalltalkImage
v3: SmalltalkImage current
v4: Fixed imageName:
v5: fixed one conflict -- md"

5509KCP108globalFlapTab -- stephane ducasse -- 27 September 2003
Deprecate globalFlapTabOrDummy: from Utilities.
The method comment says that for it stayed for possible existing
imageSegments but we should move forward "

5510MorphExample -- Karl Ramberg -- 26 October 2003
The step method caused a walk back.
Kind of silly to have a class called MorphicExample that don't work.
Added a simple class comment."

5511DebugCreateMethods-nk -- Ned Konz -- 12 February 2003
This little change set adds a 'Create' button to debuggers that pop up
on MNU's. This button writes a stub method containing a halt, then
proceeds the debugger (which will stop at the halt). You can then edit
the source of the method.
Also adds an 'implement in...' submenu to the debugger's call stack's
contextual menu (only for #doesNotUnderstand: messages)."

5512ParenBlinking -- Avi Bryant -- 8 October 2003
md: reposted as real changeset.
Avi writes:

This has been on SqueakMap forever, but I figured with the new BFAV and
so
on it might be worth posting it as an ENH, in the hopes that it'll
actually make it into the image.
This makes two changes to the ParagraphEditor:
 1. upon typing ), }, or ], the matching (, {, or [ will be made bold
until the next keystroke
 2. the meanings of return and control-return are switched (ie,
auto-indent is the default)
I have had this changeset loaded in every image I've used for the last
year and a half, with no ill effects.  I think it makes the
ParagraphEditor significantly more useful for writing code (which is,
after all, what most of us use ParapraphEditor for most of the time).
If people want change 1 without change 2, I'm happy to introduce a
preference that controls that (although I personally think of
auto-indent
as something any good text editor does, and can think why you wouldn't
want it).
Separating them into two changesets is more difficult, however, since
they
both need to modify #dispatchOnCharacter:with:.
Cheers,
Avi

5513ActionSequenceFix-nk -- Ned Konz -- 9 October 2003
9 October:
	- removed WeakActionSequence>>isValid to avoid confusion.
	- added Object>>removeActionsSatisfying:
5 August: re-posted without Roel's fix.
30 July: first version.
	- Fixes a bug that made it impossible to say:
	someObject when: #something evaluate: (MessageSend ...)
	because MessageSend didn't understand #isValid

5514DeclareInstVar -- Lukas Renggli -- 17 July 2003
md: reposted in a normal ENH form (gzip-compressed, MIME atachement)
Adds the menu-item 'declare instance variable' to the list that is
displayed when the parser encounters an undeclared variable. The
generation of the menu has been slightly altered to allow other
extensions more easily."

5515MoreCursorConstants-JMM -- johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com -- 21
October 2003
I noticed that some of the resize cursors are built on the fly, versus
being constants. These build operations occur when moving within the
browser window and on my machine take 8ms and cause a noticable flicker
Usage of constants like the other cursor constants make movement within
the browser windows much smoother "

5516SlowResizeCPU-JMM -- johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com -- 21 October
2003
In the browser window CPU usage would go to 100% when we enter the
resize pane area, or resize the pane. This was due to zero step time for
NewHandleMorph a subclass of HandleMorph which looks at cursor location
to change the cursor shape. Change step time to 10 ms in HandleMorph to
solve this. Then issue is at actual resize time CPU usage goes to 100%.
Issue in resize retangle logic  (three places) where it watchs the
cursor. Change to delay for 10 ms between cursor lookups"

5517SymbolFindInterned

5518UpdatingMenuRefreshFix-nk -- Ned Konz -- 30 Sept 2003
This CS keeps updating menu item morphs with checkboxes from repeatedly
redrawing.
version 2: fixes non-check boxes too.
version 3: MCP changed == nil to isNil, this change does this, too (md).

5519InterProcessSignaling-svp -- Stephen Pair -- 21 September 2003
[re-posted by Ned Konz as an attached changeset]
The attached file-out is an improved inter-process signaling mechanism.

It adds a method #signal: to Process that accepts an exception as its
argument.  It will signal the exception in the context of the receiver.

If the receiver is currently suspended (i.e. not on a list), the
exception will not get signaled until the process is resumed.  If the
receiver is currently blocking on a Semaphore, this method will return
the receiver to a non-blocked state and the process will resume with the

exception being signaled.  If that exception is handled and resumed, the

process will return to a blocked state if the semaphore does not have
any excess signals.
So, as Ned pointed out, you could use this to timeout a process that is
waiting on a Semaphore with an exception.  It might look something like
this.
  | sem proc |
  sem := Semaphore new.
  proc := [sem wait] newProcess.
  proc resume.
  (Delay forSeconds: 5) wait.
  proc signal: (Error new messageText: 'hey wake up!'; yourself).
I think this has the potential for a multitude of uses.  I can imagine
extending the process browser such that you can right click and send a
variety of common signals to a process.
- Stephen

5520FixSharedQueue -- Nathanael Scharli -- 18 June 2002
This fixes two bugs associated with (partially) flushing a SharedQueue.
The problem was that the sempahore that is used to block a reader when
the queue is empty did not get adjusted right."

5521MoreComments -- Karl Ramberg -- 29 October 2003
Comments to several morhic classes."

5522TextWSqueakLineEndings-nk -- Ned Konz -- 16 September 2003
This somewhat inefficient method should replace the incorrect one that I
posted as part of a fix to the Refactoring Browser earlier.

5523alphaRules-bf -- Bert Freudenberg -- 28 October 2003
Readability fix: Uses symbolic constants instead of numbers to denote
alpha blend rules. Otherwise, Form>>paintAlpha and Form>>blendAlpha
would appear unused, when in fact, they are."

5524ShrinkingSelCursorEnd -- torge husfeldt -- 31 October 2003
torge husfeldt wrote:
 BTW, i found a small bug wrt #cursorEnd: in boundary cases and an
 oddity with printIt: Try selecting a smalltalk expression right-to-left
 and then hit <yourModifier>-p. Fixes to both attached.
md: better name, preamble, mailed to the list in the correct way,
so it does not get lost"

5525MoviesCleanup -- Adam Spitz -- 30 July 2003
Moves some classes and methods into the Movies-* categories.
Still leaves the 'add movie clip player' menu item in
PianoRollScoreMorph; there might be some kind of general
menu-registration mechanism coming soon, so we'll deal with that then."
Smalltalk organization classifyAll: {#BlobMPEGMorph. #MovieClipEndMorph.
#MovieClipStartMorph. #MovieFrameSyncMorph. #MoviePlayerMorph. } under:
'Movies-Player'.
Smalltalk organization classifyAll: {#StreamingMP3Sound} under:
'Movies-Kernel'.
PianoRollScoreMorph organization classifyAll: { #addMovieClipPlayer. }
under: '*movies'.
"We don't want these methods to be part of the Tools-FileList package;
then FileList would depend on Movies, which makes no sense."
MPEGMoviePlayerMorph organization renameCategory:
'*Tools-FileList-accessing' toBe: 'accessing'.
MPEGMoviePlayerMorph class organization renameCategory:
'*Tools-FileList-registering' toBe: 'registering'.
MPEGPlayer class organization renameCategory: '*Tools-FileList-file
suffixes' toBe: 'file suffixes'.

5526BorderedMorphComments -- Karl Ramberg -- 27 October 2003
Comments for BorderedMorph and subclasses and AlignmentMorph"

<This automated message brought to you by the UpdateIncorporationTool.>
<See the UpdateIncorporationTool package on SqueakMap for details.>