Registries

Adam Spitz adspitz at yahoo.ca
Tue Nov 4 07:37:57 UTC 2003

I've created a little Registries package and put it up on
SqueakMap.

Registry is a pretty simple class to let us do registries a little
bit more flexibly than the current systems that we use for flaps or
the open menu. A Registry contains a list of "pushed" items, can
optionally "pull" a list of items from suitably-annotated
class-side methods in the image, and can cache those pulled items
so that they don't need to be re-pulled every time they're asked
for. Also, a central dictionary of Registries is kept in the image,
so that clients can register items even if the "owner" of the
registry isn't installed. This ought to let us remove some packages
(like Flaps) from the image.

Right now, installing this package will also install Andreas Raab's
MethodAnnotations and Roel Wuyts' SystemChangeNotifications. It'll
also replace the current Open menu registry and Flaps registry with
the new kind of registry. This is just meant as a demo - eventually
I'll put this Registries package (or whatever we come up with after
we've criticized it for a while) through the harvesting process.

Adam