Mailing list archive changes

cg at tric.nl cg at tric.nl
Tue Nov 4 08:27:20 UTC 2003

I'm experimenting a bit with the mailing list archive, most notably
adding ads, but I will also try to polish the look and feel a bit. This
means that during the next few days (at most), it will happen from time
to time to that I will have to regenerate the whole archive - this
usually means that during a couple of hours, articles and/or index pages
are not available. I'm doing 'development' on a low-traffic list of my
own, so I doubt that this will happen more than once or twice.

The reason I'm doing this is because I'm soo bored and I like flashy
pages.

Ok, seriously - it's an attempt to use the traffic on the list archives
(haven't got the faintest idea how big it is, but we'll find out) on
banner exchanges etcetera in order to support ad campaigns for my new
company, tric (http://www.tric.nl/). It's an experiment, if it fails (or
works extremely well ;-)) I'll think up some other use for the space. At
the moment, I'm only doing this on the squeak-dev list archive, but it's
quite possible that (if protests aren't too loud ;-)) I'll modify the
other lists as well.

To sweeten the pill, and in order to experiment a bit with what can be
done around the list archives, anyone with a Squeak-related banner
should feel free to contact me - commercial and non-commercial projects
are equally welcome; for the time being, only the 468x60 banner is
available for this (the reason being that the Google 'skyscraper' is a
text ad and I'm not sure yet how text and image ads mix in phpAdsNew,
the system I'll use to mix the regular banners with the Squeak banners).

So if you want to place a banner, send a 468x80 gif, max 12kb, not
transparent, animated if you like, to me with the URL that belongs to
it. I will refuse adult, gambling, ... material. For starters, I'll
reserve up to 35% of the top banner space for these free (yes, free,
gratis, 'as in beer') banners, in a week or so when I know more about
statistics etcetera I may adjust that amount up or down a bit.

(oh, and I'll also check what all these 'no subject' broken messages are
doing in the archive while I'm at it - probably the master archive mbox
file needs some scrubbing)

Regards,

Cees
--
Cees de Groot               http://www.tric.nl     <cg at tric.nl>
tric, the new way           helpdesk/ticketing software, VoIP/CTI,