"Environment tests"

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Wed Nov 5 09:16:33 UTC 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:38:11AM +0100, Marcus Denker wrote:
> What about this: While your programm is running on Squeak 3.5, it generates
> instances of Objects and calls methods on them, resulting in a differnt
> instance/changed instance. Couldn't we record these instances? with
> state1/methodcall/state2 we have everything we'd need for building tests
> automatically. This test-suite would be an exact testsuite in the sense
> of "Program X thinks the environment should behave this way".

... lots of data. Too much, of course.

One of the most underestimated features of a System is that it
it perfectly possible to simulate other Systems. This enables
to do "Backward-Compatibility" in a much more interesting way:
By simply simulating the old system. This is something we should
really look into, I think.

For the idea stated above, this has the direct consequence that
you don't need to build the testsuite (which would be too huge).

Just run the Programm in both environments simustanly. Then you can
nicely see if the old behaviour is the same as the new one.
(I have no Idea how this would work in practice, though).

          Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.de