[BUG][FIX] Scamper doesn't start in 3.7a-5526

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Wed Nov 5 10:36:39 UTC 2003

Adrian Sampaleanu <adrian.s at sympatico.ca> wrote:
To: 'The general-purpose Squeak developers list'
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 3:59 AM
Subject: [BUG] Scamper doesn't start in 3.7a-5526

> A fresh install, using the image in Squeak3.7a-5526.zip with the VM from
> Squeak3.6-current-win-full.zip from the main ftp archive, Windows XP
> SP1.
>
> When I click on a link in the welcome window, I get a popup asking "open
> a browser to view this URL? (Yes/ No)". When I click yes, another popup
> saying "There are no WebBrowser applications registered. (OK)" appears.

Yes. Scamper is not part of that image. You have to download it from
SqueakMap (Use PackageLoader to do that.)

When you have done this, you will see a different error. To remove that
error, please load the attached change set. It contains two changes:

AttributeTextStream class>>new
  added to suppress an error message from Stream class>>new.
(AttributeTextStream is special, it is *not* created with on: )

FileUrl>>pathForFile was changed by mga (Markus Gaelli)  at  8/6/2003.
(change set 5414. That change set contained only this method.)
With that change it is not possible (on Windows at least) to open a
html-file that is stored on your disk. I went back to the last working
version for Windows, which is  tk9/6/1998. This is problematic, and I
think, that the fix from Markus may well work on other platforms.

Hope that helps,
Boris