[newbie] Sound problem

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Nov 5 23:20:29 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 05 November 2003 4:03 am, William Trenker wrote:
> I've just got 3.6g-2 running on my Linux system.  I've been trying to get
> the sound working.

[snip]

> So, I suspect I have the same problem with squeak (not that it's a squeak
> problem, but a sound configuration problem).  So I'm looking for advice on
> how to "force" squeak to use 8-bit sound.

Are you using the Alsa drivers? You can send various strings to their /proc
control ports to make this happen.

Another possibility is to run NAS and have Squeak talk to that. I haven't got
this working yet (haven't tried much), but it should look something like
this:

Squeak (talking to NAS)
Esd (talking to Alsa)
Artsd (talking to Alsa)
NAS (talking to Alsa (via OSS, I think)
OSS compatibility layer (from Alsa)
Alsa drivers

However, it would (I think) make sense to make another audio driver plugin for
Squeak that used the Alsa library directly. This could also handle MIDI.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com