[ANN] GOODS object database client

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Nov 6 05:12:51 UTC 2003

I've recently revived a project I started well over a year ago - a
Squeak client to the Generic Object Oriented Database System
(http://www.garret.ru/~knizhnik/goods.html).  This is a nice, public
domain database server, that provides fast, robust, transactional,
distributed storage for objects from any language (although the object
model maps especially well to Smalltalk).

If you've used Magma, the client has a similar feel - it's completely
transparent (use your existing objects), only loads objects as needed
(and can flush them from the cache if they're not being used), and
automatically detects changes during a commit.  It's also considerably
lighter weight than Magma (I believe the GOODS client has about 1/7 as
much code as the Magma client), and provides a few extra features (like
per-object read/write locks).  There's currently no equivalent to
MagmaCollection, however.

The code is up on SqueakMap at
http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/2653845a-4738-4fa0-9e55
-0ee596dea684 .  There's some additional information at
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3492 .

Note that it requires the latest version of GOODS (2.72) to run.

Cheers,
Avi