swiki, commanche , 3.6, network rewrite, oh my

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Nov 6 16:37:34 UTC 2003

On Jeudi, nov 6, 2003, at 17:14 Europe/Zurich, ar wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> Thanks for filling in some of the gaps for me.
>
>>  My advice is to load Comanche 6.2
>> (KomHttpServer on SqueakMap) and try out the SmallWiki package and see
>> if it will meet your needs.  If you want to stick with the old Swiki,
>> then my advice is to download and use one of the pre-configured images
>> for ComSwiki and don't use Comanche 6.2 or Squeak 3.6.
>
> SmallWiki looks like it would fit my needs nicely if if were stable
> enough.
It is stable we runs since 3 months. Now certain aspects are
rudimentary.

> Then I can save myself (actually the host of my UML linux box)
> the extra 6M or so of ram to run swiki separately from my main image,
> or
> my gray hairs trying to getting it running in 3.6.
>
> But whereas swiki has been absolutely rock-solid, it looks like Squeak/
> Smallwiki might need some seasoning yet.

About Swiki: here we wrote a perl watch-dog and we avoid to change the
vm because
it was crashing so much that once people were thinking to change to a
python solution, so nothing
is as simple as it looks.

> On the initial page, I tried changing the title of the page from
> 'Smallwiki'. Without touching the page content, I pressed save and got
> and
> error in SWWikiScanner>>step, where it is trying to put a string to a
> WriteStream built on a string. This is because the input steam
> contents are an OrderedCollection on the page content string
> instead of the page content string itself. Can anyone reproduce this?

What I can tell you is that:
	- first we do not know the exact result of the port from VW to Squeak
	Chris did an excellent job but we did not try it yet because lukas is
FLOODED by lectures
	- second I suggest you to have a look at the current VW version
because more things will be 	coming.
	- third, SmallWiki has a good design and is ready to accept extensions
and plugging
	so feel free to contribute. We did  it for that.

Stef