[BUG] MNU attempting to open a Package loader

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Nov 6 21:31:38 UTC 2003

Hi Dan!

Dan Ingalls <Dan at SqueakLand.org> wrote:
> All I get is MNU as shown below.  As a user I have no idea what all the
> 	cardWithId: ''2653845a-4738-4fa0-9e55-0ee596dea684'')
> 	cre...etc...
> stuff is, so I have no idea what the failure is.
>
> However I DISCOVERED in an effort to move forward is that if I delete the SM folder from the image folder, suddenly things work.  Less is more, right?  ;-).  At the very least would it be useful to pass along the suggestion "If all else fails, delete SM []?".

Well, if the directory is deleted SM will contact the master and do a
full load from there. And yes, this should perhaps be written somewhere,
and it might even be the case on the Squeak Swiki - not sure.

> It's a serious bug in that it utterly prevents one from getting things back out of SM that have been removed from the release image.

Eh... yes, it is a serious bug - but I haven't bothered tracking this
down, the new SM2 has a completely different much simpler and robust way
of mirroring the map. And I have confidence in getting it in the sea
sometime next week.

And yes - removing the .log files (in SqueakMap Base <1.08 you need to
delete the dir too) or the whole directory is completely safe and
"solves all problems". :)

Also, what packages are installed and their versions are not kept in
that directory - that is kept only in the image. In the SMSqueakMap sole
instance btw.

> It could be relevant that I have several different images in the same folder.  They are in different states of what they have loaded from SM, and I also rename images from time to time in the OS (ie, not using saveAs).  I think this image was an older version of another in the same folder that had loaded something from SM.

Renaming images is fine all images in the same directory share the same
"sm" dir. And they should handle it ok, at least with the latest 1.08 of
SqueakMap Base (my memory is weak, I think it should work fine with 1.07
too).

regards, Göran

PS. Was the "sm" dir "old"? I mean, had you had it for quite some time?
We had some problems a long while back with UUIDs that got repeated (not
a good thing) which made a mess...