swiki, commanche , 3.6, network rewrite, oh my

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri Nov 7 21:03:19 UTC 2003

On Nov 7, 2003, at 6:21 AM, Stephen Pair wrote:

> But, I was disappointed to learn that SmallWiki keeps everything in
> memory and the SIXX based storage model just dumps out an entire wiki
> to a huge XML file once per hour (or some other interval that you can
> set).  But, maybe I'm missing something.  I did like the pluggability
> of the storage system (you could plug different storage providers into
> it...for example, you could plug in a snapshot based storage backend
> that simply saved the image every so often).
>
> But, what I'd really like is something that doesn't keep the entire
> content in memory (or even better has a caching strategy) and used
> some sort of disk based storage (ie. database or file system).  What
> does Gardner do in this regard?

OmniBase, GOODS, Magma?  Chango? ;)

It should be really easy to get Gardner (or SmallWiki) to use one of
these.  If I have time I may try a GOODS/Gardner combination sometime
today.

Cees made some changes to the SmallWiki model that make OODB storage a
little awkward - IIRC, links aren't direct pointers to other page
objects, but go through an indirection, with a dynamically-bound
lookup.  This makes sense when you're storing one file per page, but
just complicates things otherwise.  Cees, are you still convinced this
is necessary, or can I rip it out?

Avi