[MCZ] and adding related files

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sat Nov 8 22:00:03 UTC 2003

On Nov 8, 2003, at 10:01 AM, Colin Putney wrote:

> I agree; SAR is the way to go for this sort of thing.
>
> Mcz is a strictly declarative format, containing only snapshots and
> version info. The fact that it's also a zip file is an implementation
> detail; Monticello will ignore anything it doesn't expect to find.

The question would be whether you wanted these extra files to be
versioned along with the code.  There's no reason Monticello's notion
of package/snapshot couldn't be extended to include external files -
indeed, I'd always planned that MCPackage would allow various
declaration-providing services to register with it, with PackageInfo
(providing classes and methods) being just one of these.  Colin's right
that for now SAR is the only way to do what you need, but I'm curious
if there's any interest in that kind of redesign of MC.

Avi