Erlang (was: Re: Generics)

Hans Nikolaus Beck HNBeck at t-online.de
Sun Nov 9 19:17:02 UTC 2003

Hi,

> At 11:53 AM +0000 9/29/03, Blaine Buxton wrote:
>> Hey,
>> I've been reading up on Erlang myself. They have an approach where
>> everything is a process and you send messages to these processes.
>
> This was the approach of the original Smalltalk. It is also used by
> David Reed in the object-process scheme in Croquet (back to the
> future!).

Whow could objects be processes ?For me objects represent a certain
state. Their methods are rules how to make a transition to another
state. But processes have no state in that sence that they are a chain
of infinitesimal transitions.  From this theoretical point of view, a
"process" in a system of objects (i.e. a loop) is not a process, only a
quick sequence of transitions......

Where is my error in logic ?

Greetings

Hans