Erlang (was: Re: Generics)

Eric Merritt cyberlync at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 10 22:03:10 UTC 2003

> It's just one more process. Actually, we already
> have a couple of
> high-priority processes that do this as a side
> effect.

 Hmm, this is starting to sound like its pretty easy
to do. I think I might start playing with it.

There would probably be a number of things to base
preembtion on. In erlang, I believe they base it on
the number of reductions, they may do the same thing
in mozart. You could also base it on some arbitrary
length of time as well. In fact, if the vm doesn't
collect some runtime stats this may be the only thing
to use. Does the vm collect any of these type of
stats?

> That's easy to provide in Squeak as well. It's just
> that (because some
> platforms may not support async files) we don't use
> it by default.

  Hmm, I may have to look into this too.

Overall it looks like it may not be to hard to provide
an 'Active Objects' (as mozart-oz calls them) in
squeak. I need to look deeper into the protoobject to
see how method dispatching can be preempted.