Tantalus gone? Any users?

danil danil at tsnet.ru
Tue Nov 11 07:58:46 UTC 2003

hi, list
it is not easy to get rid of using of relational databases, as it is
standard way of persistence nowadays and there are significant
benefits of going with the grain of numerous tools.
For example, if I want to fetch ip and voice traffic from routers and
telephone station and I also want to get things done quickly, I have
no choices - python scripts storing in relation db or plain text files
(definitly not squeak launched from crontab every 5 minutes :)).
So I would like to emphasize the importance of relation-object
frameworks for unexperienced users (I'm network adminstrator seeking
for the ways to make life better - not professional programmer) and
express my gratitude to creators of such frameworks.
I have to say this, because I feel that relation databases are being
considered bothering by hardcore squeakers on whom I'm relying at
present moment ;)

AB> On Nov 10, 2003, at 11:43 AM, Mark A. Schwenk wrote:
>>
>> Although I may be using OODB's soon as the main persistence mechanism
>> for some of my projects, I need connectivity and interoperability into
>> the relational database world. But I'd like something very minimal and
>> comprehensible. Something lighter weight than the Generic Light-Weight
>> Object-Relational Persistence (GLORP) framework.
>>
>> I'd be interested in any info, code, and suggested directions for
>> extending Roe.

At the beginning, I was scared by GLORP too, but when I tried to use it, it
turned out that is pretty simple in use. In fact, the only complicated
thing in GLORP is building of mapping model. But it is inevitable -
objects must be mapped to rows and this should be coded explitly (may
be in semi-automatic way, as promised at glorp.org), how one can avoid it?

Huh, actually I just wanted to ask about status of squeak GLORP-port
:))
Version 3.0 appeared at sourceforge.net and there is announcing at
cincom wiki that glorp is the main direction of visualworks
persistance developing. So, is squeak-glorp maintained in any way or I should
try to adapt it by my own hands of newbie-butcher in a way that nobody
except of me will be able to use it? :)

thanks in advance