about package dependencies: we NEED them

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Nov 11 08:07:33 UTC 2003

Hi!

ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Hi goran

First of all - sorry if I have missed some posts or anything, been
terribly busy here... :)

> this is bold to want to split the image and I like that but do not you
> think that this is
> crazy when we cannot express nor in monticello, nor in SqueakMap
> dependencies.
> I still do not understand how you can manage changes without that.

Two important points:

1. TFNR is NOT primarily about "splitting" the image. In TFNR we aren't
focusing on cleanly separating the Basic image packages from each other.
We are focusing on putting people in charge of every piece of the image
- the borders between the packages are allowed to be fuzzy to begin
with. This is VERY important for all here to understand.

2. SM2 is coming, probably this week. Sure, it doesn't contain
dependencies yet - but there is a plan and I am working steadily in that
direction. And it is a good start.

Anyway, the only thing I can give you is that I am truly dedicated to
getting dependencies into SM2 eventually. So we *will* get it. :)

regards, Göran