Solving the "remove the sm" dir

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Nov 11 12:41:13 UTC 2003

So...

...to make things clear(er):

SM1.0x has a Prevaylerish design which minimizes traffic and makes the
map shareable but still is a bit monolithic so you can not have local
modifications and submaps etc

SM2.0 is a "hack" which I agreed with Daniel to go for in order to get
SM2 out faster. It uses an ImageSegment which means it is still
monolithic and shareable but can also not have local modifications etc.
AND it also does not minimize traffic. A step backwards you might say -
but it is much more robust and it makes SM2 much easier to develop at
this stage. So it was a good call. Squeakers on modem will get slightly
pissed (including self) but we will just have to take it until SM2.x.

SM2.x is still in the air design-wise but I want it to be both
non-monolithic (allowing for local maps and local state plus a
commit-procedure removing the web UI) and suitable for minimizing
traffic (split up in pieces instead of relying on the Prevaylerish
transaction log). And perhaps even cross Smalltalkish - but I am not
sure about that. :-)

regards. Göran