Erlang (was: Re: Generics)

Eric Merritt cyberlync at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 14:40:29 UTC 2003

--- John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>
wrote:
> You'll find the only way you  can accurately measure
> and most likely
> dispatch on a time share basis is to change the
> logic in Interpreter >>resume:  Plus perhaps tinker
> with
> Interpreter>>checkForInterrupts which is call on a
> 1-5ish millisecond
> basis on most
> platforms to enforce rules about time share
> dispatching.

 Hmm, I am not really that familiar with the deep
squeak internals, much less the vm. However, I might
see what I can come up with.

> PS someone might suggest a change to resume: which
> might allow lower
> priority threads a chance to run from time to time
> prevent a runaway high priority thread?

 That makes decent sense. Although you would probably
not want to interupt truly high priority threads.
There would probably need to be an upper range of
priorities that you would have to just let run.