[Newbie] GUI Development

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Wed Nov 12 00:30:17 UTC 2003

On Nov 11, 2003, at 13:21, Lex Spoon wrote:

> don't really understand why there are so many threads on the mailing
> list saying we need more Morphic docs or more Squeak-intro docs.  There
> are tons of them.

	Because it's that non-obvious.  Many of the tutorials show you ways to
build etoys or script together morphic type things, but it seems that
it's just more complicated than it should be.

	I think that the number of people asking for information indicates a
problem.  eToys is very easy.  Smalltalk itself is very easy, but
creating a morphic application (i.e. the browser) is far more difficult
than one would expect.

	I'd like to make an application that graphically displays information
gathered from around my network.  Gathering the information is quite
easy, but how do I create the reusable morphic graphic widgets I need
to display the various stuff I get?  All I've managed to get from
tutorials is how to draw a picture using existing morphs and attach
scripts to it.

	I'm sure there's stuff I haven't read, and I'm sure there's
experimentation I haven't done.  However, I think the information
people are looking for would look more like the cocoa tutorials:
everything you need to create a proper application in a few easy steps.

--
Dustin Sallings