Tantalus gone? Any users?

danil danil at tsnet.ru
Thu Nov 13 08:23:52 UTC 2003

Hello, Nika
Nils Kassube <nika.nospam at kassube.de>  (The Late Binding Company writes:

>> no choices - python scripts storing in relation db or plain text
>> files (definitly not squeak launched from crontab every 5 minutes
>> :)).

NK> I'm a Pythoneer myself but you don't have to launch Squeak, you can
NK> simply call a Smalltalk method by URL with wget. That's how I schedule
NK> Zope maintenance.

I'm not sure that I understood the idea.
There is no problem in sheduling squeak actions (corresponding
processes can be created). Problem is in establishing of data flow
between different utilities(it is more handy to collect data with small
scripts understandable and maintainable by other admins,
but process and represent results with smalltalk). It seems to
me that the easiest solution implies use of rdbm (may be I'm wrong
here).
May be you are suggesting to export data from external programs to
squeak in http-requests (a-la web-services) and squeak
further may store data in more native way? Something like this
can be a solution