Which PDA best for running squeak ?

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Thu Nov 13 16:04:53 UTC 2003

Hallo Hans!

> I want to buy a PDA (PocketPC) and of course it should be able to run
> squeak. Is there any model or any vendor which is better than others ?
> Is 64 MB RAM enough (some PDA has 128)... Should it be 400 Mhz (XScale,
> or is 200 MHz enough if no croquet running :-))) ?

As with most things relating to computers, more is usually better. That
is, higher CPU speed, more RAM, bigger screen, more features.  But the top
of the line isn't required.

64 MB of RAM should be enough for running pretty big images, including the
stock images.  Heck, I've run the stock images up until 3.4 with only 32
MB of RAM, although with anything up to 128 MB of RAM a memory card is
reccomended.  One can get by with the SqueakVM and maybe only one
moderately sized image on a 64 MB PDA's internal RAM- and a couple other
non-squeak apps and other data- but any more and you'd need a memory card.

PocketPCs split that amount of memory - 64 MB, etc- between "program
execution" (aka RAM) and "storage space" (aka disk space).  But, memory
cards are a lot cheaper than internal RAM MB-per-MB; I'd go with a 64 MB
model and get a 256 MB SD card.

As far as CPU, Squeak and Morphic run "decently" at 200 MHz or higher.
Decent at the low end may be a little closer to slow though.  MVC is fast
on anything with a 50 MHz CPU or faster in my experience.  I would
reccomend getting a 400 MHz XScale PXA255 equipped PDA.  They can be had
for a decentp rice.

A bigger screen is super nice with Squeak.  Only one PocketPC device has a
bigger screen, and it's not even out quite yet, that being the Tosgiba
e805. And that one will be very expensive.

I would reccomend getting the Dell Axim X5 Advanced. 64 MB of RAM, 400 MHz
XScale PXA255 CPU, built-in SD and CF slots, as well as the nicest screen
of that type (240x320 16 bit color) that I've ever seen.  USD$299 new
through Dell's site. A very good price for a substantial machine.

Just about everyone else where would say that one model or vendor is the
"best," but that really isn't the case.  If you are dead set on a
"PocketPC" (as opposed to most any PDA that could run Squeak) and have a
gigantic budget, I would wait until the Toshiba e805 comes out.  They're
$599, for same CPU, 128 MB RAM, SD and CF slots, integrated wi-fi and a
640x480 screen.

some info:
http://www.pocketloft.com/forums/showthread.php?s=c920b20362902dbf21b341cd1b6ebfdc&threadid=1667

If you've any more questions, don't hesitate to ask... I should put a page
on the swiki about this and keep it updated...

Regards,
Aaron

--
  "life, probably the biggest word i've ever said, that says a lot,
  because there's a whole lot of words inside my head.." :: atmosphere