[ANN] Squeak People

Cees de Groot cg at tric.nl
Thu Nov 13 22:04:12 UTC 2003

Andreas Raab <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> said:
>Hm ... I don't know. To me the "projects" model more of the social side of
>it. Indeed I would love to be able to register as a "user" or an "admirer"
>of that project besides the the more technical roles.

Yup. For everyone that may have overlooked it - 'User' and 'Admirer' are
two 'non-technical' roles you can give yourself in a relation of a
project. Still, it would be neat if we could somehow integrate the list
of SM projects in this site, and that's quite high on my to-do list.

>In the long-term I could imagine that we may want to subsume some of what we
>have here in SM. But (technically speaking) I think it would be very
>worthwhile to separate the two - it means that if one's down the other one
>isn't and (to me) SM has much higher requirements in terms of uptime and
>reliability. So I'd like to have a place where we can try to model the
>social relations that's independent from the place that we use to do the
>more technical stuff.

Agreed. SM is (will be/should be) our central metadata repository where
people and projects are registered. As far as I'm concerned, if Squeak
People takes off (and judging by the number of registrations, it will),
priority #1 is to make sure that you don't have to register everything
twice. But Squeak People will, IMO, always present an entirely different
view of the community than SM, even if one uses some basic data of the
other (and we must be flexible enough to allow "Squeak People-only"
people and projects, I think, or at least make sure that the barrier of
entry for participation in SqP stays very, very low).

Lots of work ahead, but with the ongoing integration of wiki, list, map,
and now this community thing I think the web presence future of Squeak
looks bright :-)

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.tric.nl     <cg at tric.nl>
tric, the new way           helpdesk/ticketing software, VoIP/CTI,