Best Squeak setup for servers

Cees de Groot cg at tric.nl
Thu Nov 13 22:08:58 UTC 2003

Jimmie Houchin  <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> said:
>I believe I read something somewhere about some using VNC for remote
>administration.

Yup. There's a built-in VNC server but I don't know how good it is. I
usually attach my Squeak server images to a tight-VNC server
(www.tightvnc.com) - the idea is that you make a ~/.vnc/xstartup that
just starts up Squeak, no window manager or other frills.

>Which image is best?
>What preparations to the image to strip it down for a server image?

I have never bothered to strip an image for a server. My theory is that
all the unused stuff will get paged out by the OS sooner or later, and
swapspace is cheaper than my time :-). With 3.6, I'd start with a basic
rather than a full image and then load the worlds-of-squeak-removal
package, but that is mostly it.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.tric.nl     <cg at tric.nl>
tric, the new way           helpdesk/ticketing software, VoIP/CTI,