Which PDA best for running squeak ?

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Fri Nov 14 04:11:02 UTC 2003

>64 MB of RAM should be enough for running pretty big images, including the
>stock images.  Heck, I've run the stock images up until 3.4 with only 32
>MB of RAM, although with anything up to 128 MB of RAM a memory card is
>reccomended.  One can get by with the SqueakVM and maybe only one
>moderately sized image on a 64 MB PDA's internal RAM- and a couple other
>non-squeak apps and other data- but any more and you'd need a memory card.

Also, I don't know if all the tricks have been collected anywhere, but considerable savings are available via source-code management.

If you don't care about comments, you can use

	Smalltalk abandonSources

which lets you decompile to get access to source code without any file space needed.

Even if you want full source code with comments, you can use

	Smalltalk condenseSources

which reclaims any source code space from methods that have been altered or deleted.  this can be a great savings for any system with a large changes file, or where you have deleted a lot of the original full system.

Finally, after condensing, you can also use

	Smalltlak compressSources

available from SqueakMap, to reduce the remaining sources file to something like 25% of its uncompressed size.

Hope this helps

	- Dan