newbie style question regarding constants

Martin Drautzburg martin.drautzburg at web.de
Thu Nov 13 19:43:49 UTC 2003

Ragnar Hojland Espinosa <ragnar at linalco.com> writes:

> I have a method sort of like:
>
>    Connection>>login: aUsername credential: aCredential authMethod: anAuthMethod
>    "stuff here"
>
> and
>
>    AuthMethod class>>METHODSIMPLE
>    ^ 16rFFFF
>
> so I do a
>
>    conn login: 'me' credential: '' authMethod: (AuthMethod: METHODSIMPLE).
>
> but I was wondering on whether there's a nicer way to store and
> retrieve the authMethod constants.

Shoudn't that be
        AuthMethod METHODSIMPLE
(without a colon) ?

I suppose you want to provide a selection of some named AuthMethods, right ?
You could use a symbol (a selector) as in

Connection>>login: aUsername credential: aCredential authMethod: anAuthMethodSelector
        |authMethod|
        authMethod _ self perform: anAuthMethodSelector

Connection>>methodSimple
        ^ 16rFFFF

and call it as

conn login: 'me' credential: '' authMethod: #methodSimple

The constants would be in Connection then. This assumes that the
constants have no relevance outside of Connection and AuthMethod was
only used to hold the constants.