Warning: Large Babel translation update coming soon

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Nov 15 14:33:43 UTC 2003

Hi Diego,

Thanks for the info. I was curious if there were any arguments we hadn't
already covered. I think right now adding #translated is the simplest thing
to do and therefore we really should go with it. As you know (I'm repeating
this here for the sake of others who are interested in this area) a key
piece of the work is to "flag" the strings we want to translate. What we do
afterwards with the flag is quite a different matter and so I'm perfectly
fine with either approach as long as it actually gets us rolling in the
area.

One of the good things about the implicit approach is that it's entirely
transparent, so even having a set of call to #translated won't confuse it.
The issue I am actually a bit more concerned about is how the table lookup
scales by the end of the day (e.g., we've got literally thousands of strings
that may have to be translated). But we can use the current version to see
how it plays out and look at what to do if it ever turns out to be a
problem.

Probably the most important issue in the overall approach is the "narrow
interface" for translation. Having just two critical methods (#translated
and #format:) makes it easy to play with different approaches further down
the road. Thanks for the good work.

Cheers,
  - Andreas