[Newbie] GUI Development

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Sun Nov 16 00:49:43 UTC 2003

Hi Andrew

Andrew Berg wrote:

> Started this reply on Thursday, just noticed that it wasn't sent...
>
> On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 05:22:04 -0000, mwgrant2001 <mwgrant2001 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> --- In squeak at yahoogroups.com, "Lex Spoon" <lex at c...> wrote:

>>> Go to the Swiki.  Look under "Documentation" and then "Morphic".

[snip]

>> Frankly, I've found spotty performance (bad links, code fragments)
>> with what I have found online. However, I should log my journey and
>> float that to the community. I also have gained some insights and
>> good starting points for more substantive or composite examples. (My
>> plan is to work on those, submit them, and then become defensive when
>> their inadequacies are revealed!)

Please do log your journey.
And ask questions here. Refer to the swiki pages in question.
For specific questions you'll get answers.

> The message that I've found in all of the Morphic docs seems to be:
> Subclass some Morphic class and then...  The problem is that I'm never
> quite sure (1) which class to subclass,

Morph is often a good candidate if you do not want to do something
specific ....

> or (2) what happens next.

Add a mouse up action for example

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/57

> In Delphi, which I've been using a lot at work lately, if I want to
> present a new form to the user it is pretty easy.  I click the new form
> button and then add some widgets.  The system writes a subclass of TForm
> for me, and creates instances of the various widgets.  Superficially
> this seems similar to how Bob's UI works but after 4-5 hours of staring
> at it, using the minnow swiki and google, and poking at various things I
> was never able to get it to do anything other than stop working.

There are several GUI builder approaches for Squeak. BobsUI actually
works fairly well. If you have specific questions please ask. Some time
ago Bob as answering questions very quickly.

As an alternative you might spend another 4..5 hours or do your job in
Delphi  ;-)

[snip]

> It is helpful, but it is about like publishing a C library and providing
> no documentation because the source is included.  Sure, a really
> motivated persion will get over that hurdle, but unfortunately we are
> not all so interested in throwing effort away.

correct.

> Also, there is (at least for me) a substantial disconnect between
> looking at a finished app and understanding the set of steps/decisions
> required to get there.

Yes.

Regards
Hannes