[BUG][FIX][VM] Crash in StandardFileStream

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Nov 16 00:28:12 UTC 2003

> Gosh, nasty one. Added to the candidate list for the 3.7 VMM.

You know what - forget about it. I've been digging around for various
senders of the format checks (#isBytes:, #isWords: etc) and very few
actually test _first_ for the oop being a SmallInt. ALL of them are subject
to VM crashes if they are ever invoked with a SmallInt and so it seems more
useful to bullet-proof the format checks instead. Attached is a CS which
does this - it introduces *NonInt: versions for the various type checks
which can be used in places where speed is critical and where it is known
that we have a non-int oop.

That actually simplifies many plugins since they no longer have to bother to
do a tag-check first. Check out the changes - I think it's worthwhile to add
those instead of fixing all the clients. The speed implications should be
fairly minimal (as in: not measurable).

Cheers,
  - Andreas