The biological cell (was: Erlang)

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Sun Nov 16 15:20:56 UTC 2003

Hi Marcus --

At 1:38 PM +0100 11/16/03, Marcus Denker wrote:
>Am 15.11.2003 um 16:01 schrieb Alan Kay:
>
>>seem to be enough computing power (and brain power in our heads) to
>>make some of the 60s ideas (e.g. Dave Fisher's notions about
>>control structures as transmuted to objects) work in a practical
>>manner.
>
>Does anyone have the Dave Fisher thesis as a pdf?
>
>Our library catalog has:
>
>  Fisher, David A.:
>  Control structures for programming languages.
>  Ann Arbor, Mich. : Univ. Microfilms Int., 1970. - VII, 206 S.
>  Pittsburgh, Pa., Carnegie-Mellon Univ., Diss., 1970

This is my vote for "the best thesis of its time that no one has
heard of". It is really a great piece of work, especially the first
100 or so pages. Much of it is still of interest today, and
particularly his approach to definition.

>( Univ. Microfilms has an online service: a copy deliverd to europe costs
>$37: http://wwwlib.umi.com )

It would be great to find a pdf version of this.

Cheers,

Alan

---------