condenseSources...

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Sun Nov 16 21:56:00 UTC 2003

> Hi,
>
> I observed a funny behaviour with Squeak.
> When I do a 'Smalltalk condenseSources' the size of source file
> increases from 14Mb to 16Mb.
> This is for the 3.4 set...

The code is stored in  two files: Squeak.sources  and  Squeak.changes
When you program, your changes go to Squeak.changes. When you
define a method and modify it ten times, all versions are in the
changfes file. You can even browse them with the versions browser
(and restore an earlier version when you made a change to the worse.)

condenseSources extract the currently valid definitions form both
the sources file and the changes file and merges these into an
new sources file. All outdated definitions are dropped. Now, with
a typical Squeak we have 14MBytes sources and 10 MBytes changes
When these merge into a 16 MBytes new source, we can conclude, that
the 10 MBytes of the changes contain 2 MBytes new stuff and
8 MBytes development history.

Is that clear?

Greetings Boris