Putting squeak in business.

mayureshkathe at softhome.net mayureshkathe at softhome.net
Mon Nov 17 06:10:23 UTC 2003

Alan Grimes <alangrimes at starpower.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Today I'm writing as an entrepreneur trying to assemble a business plan.
> I'm trying to guage how much it would cost/how much you would charge to
> accomplish the following two milestones:
>
> 1. make a bootable, self-building (no more C) VM for a reasonably
> well-designed machine (that is not a PC). including a filesystem and
> interrupt driven IO.

If you design a machine based on the the Mitsubishi M32R/D processor you
can run Squeak natively, there was some talk (long long ago on a list
far far away) about a demostration of Squeak running on such a hardware
(at OOPSLA, I think)...

> 2. make scamper W3C compliant and give it sufficient capabilities to be
> a viable if not prefferable alternative to Internet Exploder.

Why do you want to do that, that would be almost impossible, try to
invent new apps for such a device.
I would suggest that you research Mr. Alan Kay's DynaPad concepts and
try to implement them.
That would certainly be a lot more viable...

> All I need is a ballpark, not necessarily a specific quote.

I dunno, it would certainly be a very scary figure...

Warm Regards,

~Mayuresh